The truck driver, who carried out an attack on the French city of Nice, sent around $110,000 to his family in Tunisia shortly before July 14, when the massacre took place, media reported on Sunday.
The investigation found that the person behind the attack was 31-year-old resident of Nice of Tunisian origins Mohamed Lahouaiej Bouhlel.
“Mohamed sent the family 240,000 Tunisian Dinars in the last few days. He used to send us small sums of money regularly like most Tunisians working abroad. But then he sent us all that money, it was fortune,” Bouhlel’s brother Jaber told The Daily Mail.
He also said that the money were sent illegally, Mohammed Bouhlel gave cash to people returning to Tunisia and asked them to transfer the money to his relatives.
Earlier in the day, Europe 1 broadcaster reported that Bouhlel carefully planned his attack. On July 12-13, he went to the Promenade des Anglais, where the attack was later carried out. The video from CCTV cameras showed him exploring the area.
On Thursday night, a truck rammed into a large crowd that was celebrating Bastille Day in Nice. At least 84 people, including children, were killed and dozens of others were injured.
On Saturday, media reported that Daesh, which is outlawed in many countries, including Russia, claimed responsibility for the attack.